Congenital Heart Surgery
Congenital Heart Surgeryis performing to correct the defects which occur in the heart, valves, or arteries. As there are various types of the Congenital Heart disease likewise there are various procedures to treat the Congenital Heart disease. Surgeons of Congenital Heart Surgery are the experts who specialize in the surgical procedures in correcting these conditions and offering their patients the promise of a long life.
Types of Congenital Heart Surgery
Congenital Heart Surgery becomes necessary when non-invasive procedures are failed to correct the heart defect. There are two types of Congenital Heart Surgery:
• Reparative Congenital Heart Surgery: This procedure is used to correct the heart defect.
• Palliative Congenital Heart Surgery: This surgical procedure gives relief from the pain but doesn’t necessarily correct the actual defect.
Reparative Congenital Heart Surgery
Reparative Congenital Heart Surgery procedure can be performing in many types. Some of the most common procedures include:
• Repairing the ventricular or atrial septal defects and atrioventricular valves. This procedure is done with some stitches or a patch.
• Stretching or widening the pulmonic valve and closing a ventricular septal defect to correct the Tetralogy of the Fallot
• To cure transposition of the great arteries back to their normal position by moving the great arteries and coronary arteries.
• Widening a narrow aorta to treat coarctation
Palliative Congenital Heart Surgery
The surgeons of Heart Surgery in India also perform many types of palliative Congenital Heart Surgery, which gives you the relief from pain and makes you feel more comfortable. Here are some common palliative Congenital Heart Surgery surgical procedures:
• Blalock-Taussig procedure: In this procedure the surgeons of the HeartSurgery India insert a tube which is connected to the aorta to the pulmonary artery to increase the blood flow to the lungs.
• Fontan procedure: This procedure helps patients by allowing the deoxygenated blood flow into the lungs and avoiding the heart with the help of single ventricle. The oxygenated blood can pump by one heart ventricle.
• Pulmonary artery band: To restrict the flow of blood to the lungs a band is placed around the pulmonary artery.
What is Tetralogy of the Fallot?
• Tetralogy of Fallot is a heart defect which exists from birth and it usually includes the four defects in the heart and also causes baby to turn bluish in color.
• When the child age is between 6 months and 2 years old then the open-heart surgery is required to treat the heart defects.
The child first may undergo for the shunt procedure. The shunt helps in moving the blood from one area to another. This procedure is done when there is a delay in open-heart surgery procedure due to the child is too sick to undergo the surgery.
• The surgeons of the Heart Surgery India make a surgical cut in the left side of the chest during a shunt procedure.
• The shunt is closed and the main repair in the heart is performed once the child grows older.